~ as it applies to Coffman/Livingston & Hansman research
16 Nov 1820
|Until that date, the territory now embraced by Grundy County formed a part of Howard County.3|
|2 Jan 1833||After 16 Nov 1820, Grundy became a part of Ray County until this date when it was attached to the newly organized Carroll County.3|
|1833||The first settlers in Grundy County were General W.P. Thompson and his family.1|
|1834||Levi Moore and his family arrived and the area soon became known as “Moore’s Settlement”.1
The settlement became known as “the Bluffs” and in 1908 was called Lomax’s Store.5, p.20
|Winter, 1835-1836||The first school on record in the county was taught by Miss Louisa Berry in Madison township in the winter of 1835 & 1836. It was located about a mile north of what is now Edinburg. The first schools were usually taught in private houses.5, p.143Birdsall & Dean states that the first school ever taught in the county was in 1838 by an Englishman named Moore. The house was a rough log cabin on the present site  of the old cemetery.6, p. 379|
|6 Apr 1837||The first wedding in Madison township and is also believed to be the first in Grundy County was between Milton L. Moore and Miss Louisa Perry, daughter of George Perry.6, p. 559|
|1838/39||Wilson township was settled in this general time frame. The majority of the settlers in that area came from Kentucky.2In 1838 the first store opened nearby in what was then called Lomax.1|
|1839/40||Grundy County first consisted of Sugar Creek and Muddy Creek Townships under the jurisdiction of the Livingston County Court, and while under that jurisdiction seven townships were established in 1839-40. They were Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, Morgan, Marion and Lafayette.3|
|3 Jan 1841||The first marriage of record in the county: This is to certify that on the third day of January last, I did join John B. Howard and Rebecca Williams in the marriage covenant. Given under my hand this 27th day of march, in the year of our Lord, 1841. ~ Signed by Thomas Thompson, P.G.6, p. 156|
|29 Jan 1841||Organized from Livingston County and named for Felix Grundy, Tennessee senator and United States attorney general under President Jackson. Grundy died almost exactly a year before the county honored his name.3|
|18 Mar 1841||The First Deed of Record in the county was between George Perry and wife Jane and Milton L. Moore for 80 acres of land. Total paid was $100. The Justice of the Peace was William Renfro.5, pp. 53-55 or 6 p. 201|
|Apr 1841||The first court was held in a log house in Trenton (known then as Lomax store). Judge James A. Clarke of Monticello, Chariton county presided. The judicial court at that time was composed of Chariton, Ray, Daviess, Livingston, Macon, Inn, and Grundy counties.6, p. 378|
|18 Apr 1841||The first court met this date. As the county was too young to have many civil and criminal cases, the first cases involved betting and card playing on Sunday.3|
|19 Jun 1841||By this date, four more townships were organized. They were Monticello, Clark, Scott and Trenton.3|
|1842/45||Eleven townships existed during these years. In 1845, Mercer County was organized and the number of townships in Grundy County reduced to the old number of seven — but not the same seven. The townships now stood: Washington, Franklin, Liberty, Marion, Trenton, Jefferson and Madison, the five townships of Monticello, Clark, Morgan, Lafayette and Scott disappearing completely and Liberty appearing.3|
|1851||The first newspaper published in the county was the Trenton Pioneer. David T. Wright was its founder.5, p.157|
|By 1857||Lomax was known as Trenton.1 And Trenton was also known as Bluff Grove.3|
|20 Oct 1861
to March 1862
|Grundy County Battalion State Militia Infantry was organized at Trenton, Grundy County, for six months October 20, 1861. Scouting and duty at Chillicothe Mo., until March, 1862. Mustered out March 4, 1862.4|
|1881||The development of the county was aided by the coming of Quincy, Missouri & Pacific railway. The city of Galt was founded because of the railway.5, p.92|
|26 Jun 1881||The first marriage license issued to Wm. A. Brock and Sarah F. Atkinson. Actually issued on a Sunday which was the first day the law for such went into effect in the state. A second license was also issued the same day to Wm. C. Urton and Maggie A. Events. The marriage license law was the first license law in the state. The licenses were issued from the recorder’s office of Grundy County.6, p.251|
|1883||A severe storm in Grundy county unroofed or destroyed a number of houses as well as doing much damage to orchards. The approximate loss for Trenton was $75,000.5, p.92|
|1887||Another railway, Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, came to the county. The railway ‘made’ the town of Laredo but ‘killed’ the village of Alpha.5, p.92, 94|
|20 Apr 1880||That Sunday a violent rain and hail storm went through the northern part of the county. Window glass was broken in the townships of Taylor, Harrison and Washington. Half Rock Church in Washington township was moved off its foundations. Cattle in Washington and Taylor townships were severe injured. The hail stones were various sizes. Some smooth stones measured five and a half inches in circumference; the rough stones were even larger.6, p.249|
|4 Jul 1909||That evening a ‘remarkably heavy rain’ began which extended from the central to the western part of North Missouri and Southern Iowa. Before the storm ended, that part of the state suffered its worst flood in history. The next evening a ‘sudden and tremendous downpour’ caused all the streams to rise rapidly overflowing their banks. All crops on the river and creek bottoms were ruined. Miles of fencing were gone. Stock worth thousands of dollars was destroyed. The water rose so rapidly, owners had little or no chance to save property. Some people had to climb trees and wait for 24 hours for rescue.5, p.861|
- University of Missouri Outreach Grundy County page 
- History of Wilson Township in Grundy County. 
- Grundy County courthouses
- A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets Past and Present of Grundy County, Missouri – Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser.  Another page with the same title but devoted to the towns and hamlets specifically is here.
- Union Regimental History.
- A History of Grundy County by James Everett Ford, Printed by News Publishing Company, Trenton, Missouri, 1908.
- A History of Grundy County, Missouri Birdsall & Dean, Kansas City, Missouri, 1881.
List of places in Grundy County that are on the National Register of Historic Places.